Tuesday 20 May 2008

creeping westwards Tue 20/05/2008 09:56

It's going to be a looong night out here in the boonies. Glimpses of very Turner moon, wind fitting and starting, but never less than 20 and often closer to 30. We are now closer to Japan than to Dutch and the next couple of days will be critical. If the wind does soften and veer and - big and! - we can make headway safely to the NW, we will at least be starting to go in the right direction, tho prob only at 2- 3 ks. Then the front of the next depression is due the following day with 35 from the SE - another big iff we can make headway safely, that should get us a couple of hundred miles N and I don't yet know what's behind it but if more of this, then I think we could be in for another long park.

My only data link is good old C & W satphone - the xsat one still refuses to connect (iridium says the phone's number is out of service when I dial it from the phone, even though I can make voice calls) and sailmail is completely out of action at the mo - must be excessive sunspots or something, but there's no green anywhere on the propagation charts.

I said this thing was finely balanced way back - it sure is!