Tuesday 3 June 2008

McQ: Back on the road.

Adak was mad: wee Berri alongside a wharf built for aircraft carriers- wish I could have got a photo from the sea!! To start with it was almost like going alongside nothing as we were lower than the bottom of the pier sides!! crazy!!! but we got there and away and intact- And, yes thanks to Lacy the Harbourmaster, Its so nice coming all this way and the first person I speak to other that Alex in 53 days is super helpful and friendly!!!
We came out of Adak, have just cleared the corner of Great Sitkin Isloand and are now pointing in a straight line to Dutch, 350ish miles to our waypoint up there, 064- I guess we follow that line and munch away at the miles, pac-man styley. Sweet.
Not a lot of wind and guess where it's coming from??? we have the engine on, nowt to stress about there at the moment- we're almost overflowing with diesel!!!!!
I just put the headsail away cause it was just flogging about doing nothing and all the commotion must have woken Big A- I explained what I had done no wind etc, he looked confused and asked- this is quite funny- if we had gone round the corner and got to our bear away point? I said yes, we have borne away, and wind bore away with us!!! Typical eh??? I just read that- it doesn't sound very funny at all. I guess you have to be here.
We have a big plastic curver box that is filled with our ready use foods, like plastic tubs of tea/coffee/sugar/pasta/ museli bars/chocolate etc and today the bundy has made its way in there too and Kimbra, you'll be pleased to hear that we have a tub dedicated solely to beetroot which we replenish from tins regularly!!!
I still can't quite grasp that we have just made land fall in America. Its barely comprehensible for me here, it must be really random for anyone following, but while wee Berri is just that, compared to the huge ocean, to me, when we are sailing, alongside she was definitely the Mighty Berri, having safely and happily got us a quarter of the way round the world nonstop!! Go Berri, I love you!!
Love to everyone else too,
McQ
xxx